Click here to see the informative presentation!
Click here to see the informative presentation!
SamTrans Press ReleaseSamTrans and the City of Millbrae are providing pedestrians with a safe, new crossing on El Camino Real to reach the Caltrain/BART Intermodal Station. The new signal, combined with landscape and walking path improvements, provide customers with a more pleasant way of getting from the transit hub to downtown Millbrae.
The Victoria Avenue project in Millbrae created a street crossing signal with a well-defined walking path and added sidewalk, bus stop and landscape enhancements to improve safety and access to the station for pedestrians. Making El Camino Real a more walkable, transit-friendly environment is one of the core objectives of the Grand Boulevard Initiative, which provided funding for the project.
Millbrae and SamTrans are both members of the Grand Boulevard Initiative, which seeks to transform El Camino Real into a pedestrian-friendly boulevard with mixed-use residential and commercial development. Grand Boulevard partners share a vision for the future of the Peninsula's "Main Street" and are taking a grassroots approach to achieving that shared vision on a project-by-project basis.
"While achieving a safer pedestrian environment was the project's most important goal, this work has the added benefit of encouraging walking and transit use by making the experience easier and the corridor more inviting," said Millbrae Mayor Gina Papan.
The improvements cost $475,590, which were contributed through a combination of federally available funds earmarked for local projects and local contributions.
Join the Grand Boulevard Initiative, National Park Service, and Greenbelt Alliance for a 1.5 mile historic walk through downtown San Mateo on Saturday, June 15th. The walk will follow a portion of the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail. A National Park Service ranger will lead the interprestive walk, bringing the voices of the past together with a vision for the future of El Camino Real. Space is limited, so be sure to RSVP here.
Date: Saturday, June 15th
Time: 10:30am - 12:30pm
Where to meet at 10:30am: San Mateo Central Park (9th Ave. and Palm Ave)
The conference was held by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco and Seal Cove Financial. The conference program can be found here and includes a list of attendees and executive summaries of recent impact investing studies.
Deadline EXTENDED: April 18th
The Grand Boulevard Awards program recognizes projects and plans in the El Camino corridor that embody the GBI Guiding Principles. Details about nominations are provided below and in the attached documents. We look forward to your participation!
Recognition will be awarded to two separate types of efforts:
- Project (Public and Private): Physical projects in the planning stage, under construction, or that recently have been completed and that embody the Guiding Principles. Completed projects must have been built after January 2006. Projects can be private or public. A public project is strictly defined as a project which is located on public right of way. The inclusion of public funding is not a determinant.
- Visionary: Plans by Grand Boulevard Initiative (GBI) member agencies that embody the Guiding Principles.
Nominations must be submitted by a GBI Working Committee member. If you would like to nominate a project or plan you are encouraged to work with the Working Committee member that represents the jurisdiction in which your project or plan is located.
Nominations will be evaluated by the Working Committee, which will then make recommendations to the Task Force for final approval. Awards are non-competitive and will be given to all projects and plans that receive an overall score which exceeds a pre-determined threshold.
Nominations are due April 12th at 5pm. The timeline for the awards process is as follows:
January 31 - Call for Nominations released
April 12 - Nominations due
June 26 - Task Force Meeting approves recommended award recipients
Summer/Fall - Grand Boulevard Awards Event to Recognize Honorees
- The Grand Boulevard was featured on KQED's Forum with Michael Krasny!
- Michael Freedman will speak at the GBI Walk the Talk Forum on April 30th
- The Grand Boulevard is the recipient of an ABAG Growing Smarter Together Award!
- Grand Boulevard Initiative Wins the WTS, San Francisco Chapter 2012 Innovative Transportation Solutions Award
- GBI Walk the Talk Forum - Sunnyvale - March 5th
- The official Grand Boulevard video
- GBI Walk the Talk Forum - Menlo Park - January 26th
- Major changes may be coming to El Camino Real
- Release of Caltrans Proposed Highway Design Manual Changes
- Grand Boulevard Wins Two Major Grants
Page 2 of 5
- What's New
- Activity Along the Corridor
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Friends of the Grand Boulevard